1st tumble

Woke lateish hot, hot, hot got all packed up from our free camp in a kind of thistle valley, all uneaven and dry. Decided to let Kev ride out solo as tricky, he had barely got going fully laiden when he hit a funny camber, went to put his foot down but just found air so over she went, he fell off quite spectacually through the side and into the thistles, no damage to Kev but bike looking a little sorry, torn the roof slightly but repairable and cracked the two side screens. It took us ages to get her upright as it was in a kind of hollow, much sweat later we were ready to go.
Most of the route today was following the silk route and judging by the state of some of the roads we may have even touched some of the orginal!
Ended up at 5pm entering Baku city centre, man alive traffic everywhere. Hunted for the ferry port after asking 5 different people found it. Don’t know how we missed it the first four times it was so obvious, a tiny back street off the main drag with no signs,  how could we be so silly. After attempting to enquire when the ferry was going we gather the general gist come back tomorrow. No chance of camping so hunted for a hotel struck lucky asked a taxi driver who led us to what we thought was an expensive hotel but It turned out one of the cheapest. Spent most of next day trying to work out when the ferry was leaving think possibly tonight 7pm or tomorrow 7am. Packed ready to leave went to get some more money but the atm swallowed my (Karen’s) card great timing.
Arrived at port 8am saw our usual russian who said no ship, so we went into the dock area wrote down the name of the ship in the port and went back and waived it under his nose saying yes ship. Eventually haggled and got tickets, then jumped through usual hoops and got on board about 4hrs later.
Leaving Baku
Ship left 1pm all’s well we blagged a cheap cabin sharing with two turkish lorry drivers everything grand until one of the Russians took a fancy to me and at 1 in the morning fuelled with vodka attempted to enter the cabin 4 times whilst Kev was asleep eventually I clambered into the same bunk as Kev and locked the door unfortunately locking out the turkish guys aswell but they were ok in morning when I explained. We arrived in Kazakhstan at 1pm 24hrs later.
  1. #1 by Julie on June 22, 2010 - 1:16 pm

    Brilliant tales – funny and scary all at the same time. Hope you are enjoying it though. I would have had kittens by now!

  2. #2 by Ergin on June 22, 2010 - 12:41 pm

    Hi guys,

    Glad you made all the way to the ferry. Wish you good luck. Be safe,


  3. #3 by Lighthouse on June 18, 2010 - 8:01 pm

    Keep it up you two. (I only found out you had left, last week. Had been trying to phone you :)

    Bon route

  4. #4 by keith on June 15, 2010 - 9:55 pm

    glad your ok after the tumble x glad your doing ok and its great to read all you adventures x stay safe and keep ridding x keith x

  5. #5 by Jane on June 15, 2010 - 9:31 pm

    Gosh your adventure is certainly happening! What wonderful stories you have to tell and scary too – especially the Russian, typical for a man to sleep through it! James send his love, he’s on a rally at the moment and is looking forward to catching up on your travels when he gets back. Phil and Ellie are over from the US at the moment so catching up with them at the weekend. Keep safe. Love Jane x

(will not be published)